Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Laura Fedora fashion sketchbook part 2


I've been trying out some rough fashion sketches and collaging with my fabric patterns to visualize what things I would like to sew……

Oh! By the way……I have set myself up with some sewing classes :-)

I am mainly a collage artist when it comes to visual art and I also do three dimensional paintings…..which is kind of like fashion…..a dress is kind of like a wearable sculpture!

My aesthetic is heavily psychedelic but very sci fi based. I am very influenced by Mobius' comic books in which he draws these very ornate outfits for his distopian tribal societies……



That is where these futuristic dashiki designs are inspired from:







I only have a couple of these patterns up in my store, I am going to make more available soon!








I also like the idea of a Patrick Woodruff girl



Or creature


Mixing in some Japanese street fashion and layering to get something like this………..











or this


I can print the initial tile image really big or really small and in this dress I use  the pattern
both ways….






In this layered look I used this pattern:





where the tile is printed smaller

 and then for the cuffs and head wrap I print the tile bigger…..



so it has a futuristic tie dye effect…..




And finally the biggest inspiration are coral reefs….natural living psychedelia….




Psychedelia is evident in nature especially the ocean…..there is a logic to symmetry as if it unlocks hidden patterns that tell us more then we can actually perceive unless we went around wearing kaleidoscope glasses. 


It is as if there is a perception and a story hidden away in each creature or scene or memory and when this image stands next to itself another truth emerges……

That is why I love cuttle fish…….

No comments:

Post a Comment